Wednesday, February 15, 2012

The Weeping Princess


Who decided that big girls don't cry? 

The day after my diagnosis I had an appointment to get a biopsy. It's hard to describe all of the emotion I was experiencing, but overwhelmed comes close. As I followed my nurse to the locker and took a hospital gown from her hands, I felt a swell of emotion. Uh oh. My "cup runneth over," just not exactly with joy. Tears began to fall- not loud, uncontrollable sobbing, but a silent, steady waterfall down my cheeks. I call it "leaking,"and it is tough to stop!

Apparently, this caused quite a bit of distress for everyone that still had to interact with me. I kept assuring them that this was normal, I was fine, but to no avail. They had a goal and were pursing it with a single-minded tenacity: "stop that leak!"...perhaps for their own comfort more than mine. The intake nurse insisted on getting Jonathan. That didn't help. Jonathan and I just laughed through my tears, knowing they weren't going to stop anytime soon. Tears flowed a little harder when I discovered I would be awake for the biopsy, which I imagined to be a huge needle plunging deep into my chest (and it was). Next came my favorite part. A bouncy IV nurse- I think she literally bounded throughout the hospital- landed two inches from my face and in her sweet, Asian accent exclaimed, "OH! You are the Weeping Princess!" It made me smile. "I suppose I am," was my reply. The title, which I proudly accepted, made her unique approach to starting an IV somewhat tolerable. I'm pretty sure I saw her hop as she inserted the needle. I continued to "leak" as they wheeled me to my doctor, crying harder when I saw that he looked like an eighteen year old. The supervising doctor only needed a moment to meet me, assess the situation, and decide to order "happy drugs" for relaxation. Thank you, Jesus. Soon after the drug was administered I was cracking jokes and watching the biopsy with intrigue. I guess they found a way to plug that leak, after all. 

But it got me thinking, what's the big deal with tears, anyway? Those little drops caused a room full of well-trained professionals to scurry away in fear. Didn't Jesus weep when he found out his friend Lazarus had died? The crazy part is that Jesus already knew he could and would raise Lazarus from the dead! Why waste time on tears when he knew how the story would end? It sure sends a message for those who are hurting, even those of us that know God will someday dry all of our tears and make everything right. 

I think Jesus is trying to validate our emotions, saying that it's good to grieve: let it out! Yeah, we have hope. We know "God is good all the time, all the time God is good", but it's ok to cry right now because it hurts right now, and that matters to Him. There is something about expressed sorrow that even Jesus didn't choose to avoid. No clever rationalizations, exhausting distractions, or confusing denial. He embraced and expressed his experience of human emotion, so I guess I can too. 

I like what Dr. James Gills says in his book, God's Prescription for Healing. He compares crying to sneezing. Crying is another one of God's brilliant, built-in cathartic responses for healing. Sneezing expells unwanted invaders from our bodies so that makes crying the "big sneeze" for our emotions. It's like a reset button.  "Better out than in, I always say," to quote Shrek. I think that's why being tagged the Weeping Princess felt like an honor. I often tell my clients that it can take more courage to express our feelings than distract ourselves from them. Keeping a stiff upper lip is necessary in some situations, but it's not really my M.O. and I like it that way. I've been able to cry when I needed to cry, which has allowed me to experience joy, and laughter, and peace most of the time. I don't need to waste energy ignoring painful feelings because I have a Savior that says I am strong enough to handle them. Want to know the best part? When I'm not strong enough, he promises to meet me there. So far, Jesus has made good on that promise. 

I've recently been presented with many opportunities to admit my weakness. The challenge of last week was my port placement. I actually did ok through the procedure, far less "leaking" than the biopsy a few weeks prior. It is a bit disconcerting, however, to see this alien bubble under my skin, and it will take some getting used to. So I guess you can pray that I will make friends with this port. Some have recommended that I name it, which seems like a good next step. I'm taking suggestions! 

Chemo starts Thursday. I am looking forward to visits from friends on "chemo Thursdays" and will let you know how the first one goes. I predict some more appearances from the Weeping Princess- hold the kleenex, please- but also look forward to greater intimacy with Jesus and the people I love. 

In case you need a big emotional sneeze today, I'm sharing a link to this song by Jon Thurlow: 

21 comments:

  1. Weeping Princess--We are thinking about you and praying for you and Jonathan. Know that there are people who are constantly holding you up to the Lord! He will see you through this! Love you and wishing you well today as you begin your Chemo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kept thinking of Psalm 56:8 and how He loves your tears so much He keeps them.

    I'm so proud of your healthy heart - that you weep and grieve and hope and worship. Hope you have a great, sneezy chemo Thursday. I am. :)

    "You keep track of all my sorrows. You have collected all my tears in your bottle."

    (Laura)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our son just marked the half-way point with his chemo.Like you, having the port inserted was one of his most difficult steps. It made everything so real. While we would never choose this road for our son, there have been countless blessings along the way--blessings he would never experience were it not for his cancer. Dear Weeping Princess, may I share some of the blessings you have ahead of you?

    Like our son Peter, you will meet people you would have never met before. You will laugh with them, cry, and have opportunity to pray for them and share Jesus. Get ready to be a witness in the land you have been called to.

    God's Word will speak to you like never before. You'll rest in every promise and rely on the power of His Word. Get ready to grow!

    You will learn the blessing of fellowship and fiendship. When you feel as if you have nothing to give,a friend will show up. Maybe your friend will bring dinner, or help with a household chore. Maybe she'll just sit and share your box of tissue. Get ready to experience the great joy and comfort of friendship.

    You and your husband will grow closer. He'll sacrifice for you and count it as joy. You'll treasure each other's touch as never before. Get ready to love your husband more deeply than ever before.

    I pray you will have the same "blessing-side-effects." And I pray you will feel the healing touch of our Savior today. Thanks for your beautiful blog.

    In His Everlasting Arms,
    Sandy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sandy,
      Thank you so much for sharing. Jonathan and I have read over these words several times and been so encouraged. After a couple of months, I already see the ways your predictions are coming true. With so many negative things to "look forward to," I love being able to think about the blessings in store. I bet Peter is nearing the end of his treatment-and would love to know how he's doing. I will pray for his complete recovery and continued blessings!

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ashley, met your MIL at a retreat in PA a few weeks ago right after your diagnosis. Please know there are prayers being sent up for you here in Pennsylvania.
      Sue
      James 1:12

      Delete
  5. Ashley - My thoughts and prayers are with you today. I'm praying for courage, encouragement, peace, healing and minimal side effects with the chemo. Your faith through this trial shines bright and is an inspiration to me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ashley,
    I just happened to see this link online. I'm thankful, so I can pray for you. But that was hard news for me to read, I can only imagine what it's been like for you and Jonathan and your family. I don't know why God has chosen this path for you, but I too am glad that you are open to grieving and crying because you know Jesus is with you. I can see He has given you great strength and courage already, and I will pray for continued peace and hope and healing. Love you Weeping Princess and dear friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jen-thanks for your words and prayers, friend. Hope you are well.

      Delete
  7. Hi Ashley,
    You don't know me, but I met Kendra at a recent Silent Retreat and really connected with her, which is hard to do at a Silent Retreat! :) She and I are the same age, got married a month apart to pilot husbands, and I was drawn to her quirky sense of humor and love of life. That was one day after your diagnosis, and I marveled at her ability to "keep on keepin on" with such enthusiasm. I, however, am also a weeper...more of a Weeping Queen at this stage of life :) I wept at the Silent Retreat, anticipating the 1st anniversary of my brother's death on Valentine's Day. I know that laughing through that weekend with Kendra gave me the boost I needed, and this week has not been as dreaded as I had anticipated.
    I was reminded just how big and loving our God is, and that's what I wanted to share with you. Your diagnosis was on a Thursday, and God prompted me to add you to my Thursday prayer list. You started this blog yesterday? I just "happened" to stumble on it when I "happened" to meander through a zillion people FaceBook says are possible "friends", and came across Kendra and clicked on her Wall...where I "happened" to see this link today. I smile at all that because it's just like God, isn't it? No coincidences, but God's gentle leading in even the mundane. He's whispering "Ashley, I love you and I will see you through" and he's bringing strangers like me in the Body of Christ to pray for you, every Thursday when you have chemo.
    Sorry this is so long, but I am so full of awe and gratitude and love for our great God...I just needed to let you know I'm out here in PA praying for you, and weeping at times, out of a full heart knowing God will do marvelous things in and through your life. Looking forward to following your Blog. Blessings, Joan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Joan-Thanks for sharing your story, and I feel honored to be a part of your Thursday prayer list! I agree, that timing is so like God. I will continue to imagine the whisper of God, affirming His love. I want to join you in being in awe of our big great God too, and feel overwhelmed that he would bring a stranger, or fellow sister, along to encourage me. Thank you. :)

      Delete
    2. Hi Ashley - I'm giggling to myself, and a few tears (the weeping part of me again) of joy at again the wonder of our God! I have been praying for you faithfully every Thursday (my iPhone reminds me, and I try to do what it tell me to!), but I have not read your blog since Feb 16... until tonight, when I "happened" to come here again. I caught up on all your entries, and then looked all the way back to this one since I see you now are replying to everyone. And here you are, replying to me TODAY. It's almost like we are actually talking to each other in "real" time! Isn't God cool? Using technology to connect we "strangers" as sisters in Christ? It really warms my heart, and I know it is becuz He loves you sooooo much and He is doing great things "behind the curtain" on your behalf, in and through you. Easter Blessings on you, Jonathan, and your entire family. He is Risen...He is Risen indeed :)

      Delete
  8. Hi Ashley,

    I saw your mom. She filled me in on your situation.

    It is always an adventure when one travels with God. We don't always get to see what His plan is or how we make our part fit the big picture. That's the adventure. Not always the destination but the journey along the way.

    Your faith continues to inspire me after these many years. Be assured of our prayers for you and Jonathan. We will be following your blog.

    Love and Blessings to you,

    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Michelle, we really appreciate your prayers!

      Delete
  9. Ashley - your words are so powerful! I'm saddened to hear of your news, my uncle suffered from the same cancer back when he was 19years old...he was cleared of cancer and is very healthy to this day. For what its worth, I'm so thankful to know you and am excited to follow your inspiring blog! Believing for HIM to be glorified through this....stay encouraged in who He is - He is well able! Xx

    Brittany

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Brittany-He is well able! I like that :)

      Delete
  10. Ashley,
    I love how you've expressed yourself ... in words here in your blog and with your tears hospital. Thank you for sharing. Kevin and I will be praying.

    Vanessa Howells
    A fellow weeping princess =)
    p.s. Today I wept in church listening to a young man's testimony of coming to saving faith in Jesus... a reminder of how God reaches out to each of us so personally.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for response, Vanessa! Hope you guys are doing well, and I'm glad to know another weeping princess :)

      Delete
  11. When Jesus saw her weeping, and the Jews who had come along with her also weeping, he was deeply moved in spirit and troubled. Jesus wept.
    John 11:33
    If the Son of God needs to let it out, if Jesus wept, then we must too. I hope you continue to see that whatever you’re feeling, it’s okay. May you always realize that God is sitting with you, fully present, weeping with you... but also restoring. This was coincidently our Sunday School lesson today so when I read your blog I wanted to share it with you : ) We are praying for your strength on the good days and the weeping days too! Hugs, prayers, and love, Marty and Mark Lindvahl

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for sharing that, Marty! And congrats on the beautiful new grand baby :)

    ReplyDelete